Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ka-Nee-Ta


The girls and I took a few days and spent it at the Ka-Nee-Ta Resort on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation near Madras, Oregon. We decided we wanted to go somewhere warm and the place met our expectations! I think temperatures were in the nineties until the day we left. Luckily there was a pool to cool off in.

Must. Stay. Connected.
At breakfast buffet
The resort accommodations and food were nothing to write home about, but the views from the room were beautiful. I was up early each day to watch the sun rise and then stood outside at night to marvel at the sheer number of stars I could see.


Hold your breath
Don't mess with me child
We spent a bit of each day at the pool keeping cool and playing, unofficially, king of the mountain with our raft. We had a lot of fun with the water-proof camera. Unfortunately, the seals on the camera gave way on the second day and fried the display screen making it challenging to take pictures the rest of the trip.

Happy hikers
Are we there yet?
A couple evenings we went hiking. Both times, I managed to almost get us stranded in the desert. Living in the 'burbs doesn't quite give you the appreciation for how dark it gets when the sun goes behind the horizon and there's no moon or streetlights around. Our first hike, I definitely felt a sense of panic when I didn't find the trail that was just supposed to go down the hill back to the resort and we had to take the long way around the hill to get back just before it got too dark to see where we were going. The second day I avoided the panic by having the resort van come pick us up at the other end of the resort instead of attempting to rush back thru the desert as the sun was setting. The girls kindly did not mention, or notice, that I almost did the same stupid thing twice.
The dangerous river

At night we watched tv, read (at least I read), checked out the arcade, and the girls had their first introduction to the pool table. They actually did pretty well but I got pretty frustrated with them towards the end of the game when they got distracted by the tv and the game to forever. We also realized that Erika needed glasses on this trip when she mentioned that she couldn't read the words on the tv from across the room.

Our last day we took a rafting trip.The girls were in an inflatable canoe by themselves. To go down river and negotiate obstacles required teamwork. Let's just say the girls got to experience every low hanging branch, tall rock and going around in circles while they were busy arguing with each other on who was supposed to be doing what and whose fault it was when they didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment