I treasure my scars. Like a s song or picture or smell, each one has a story that brings back a memory.
I have a few that remind me how quickly things can go wrong even when you think you're having fun. I remember my first scar from third grade. I was out during recess tossing rocks at the wall next to a friend. She told me "Stop or I will throw one at you." I didn't. She did and knocked a chip out of my two front teeth and smashed open my lip in the process. This is the first time I remember doing something that caused me to get hurt, how it was over before I knew what happened and how shocked I was that a friend would do that. Similarly, I was at a party of a coworker during college where someone decided it would be funny to trip me as I walked by. I tripped, falling into the pool, except for my head which stayed up on the concrete. That left me with five stitches in my chin and a root canal.
I had my appendix out in my 20s. I remember two things about this one. I remember being in denial for a few days because I felt too healthy to have a real problem and reminds me of my first cat, who jumped on my stomach to sleep while I was recuperating from surgery on the couch. I nearly launched her across the room.
My cesarean scar reminds me of my beautiful girls and how lucky we are that they are healthy.
I busted a thigh muscle my first year or two surfing. I was in knee high water and the board (which was between me and the ocean: bad) flipped and the fin smashed into my thigh muscle. I could not sleep on that side for weeks and the blood from the bruise made its way from my thigh down my leg to my feet over the course of a few weeks. It was nasty looking for a long long time. Besides reminding me of the power of the ocean, I also see that one as a badge of honor. I'm proud that I learned to surf, something on my bucket list, at 38.
I have a few more, some more that come with good memories, and some that remind me be careful: that life and body are precious and should be cherished. They are reminders of the life I have lived.
I have a few more, some more that come with good memories, and some that remind me be careful: that life and body are precious and should be cherished. They are reminders of the life I have lived.
No comments:
Post a Comment